Registration for Existing True Minor Sources of Air Pollution in Indian Country

Information and tools that may help you determine if you are required to register your “true” minor source of air pollution with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

On June 10, 2011, the EPA finalized the Federal Indian Country Minor New Source Review (NSR) rule which helps to protect air quality in Indian country. Under this rule, existing “true” minor sources that emit air pollution at certain levels must register their facility with the EPA by March 1, 2013. True minor air pollution sources are generally small businesses or operations such as neighborhood dry cleaners or gas stations.

In order to help true minor sources register, we developed calculators for common source types to help you determine if you must register under this rule. Please note that if you have a source that emits at or above the minor source threshold levels sufficient enough to make your source a "true" minor source and we do not have a calculator for you, you must still register. Please see the registration form shown below.  To open these files, you will need Microsoft Excel version 7.0 or later.

Click below to open and use the appropriate calculator for your facility to determine if you must register under the Federal Indian Country Minor NSR rule

Gas stations

Gas Stations(1 pg, 74 K, 06/10/11)

Private or public facilities where gasoline is dispensed into vehicle fuel tanks.

Dry cleaning operations

Dry Cleaning Operations(1 pg, 80 K, 06/10/11)

Dry cleaning operations which commonly use petroleum solvents as cleaning fluids in commercial and industrial dry cleaning operations.

Auto body shops

Auto Body Shops(1 pg, 87 K, 06/10/11)

Repair, repaint, and customize cars, trucks, and other vehicles. Activities include sanding, cleaning, priming and painting.


Sawmills(1 pg, 97 K, 06/10/11)

Sawmills take harvested logs and process them into lumber suitable for construction or the creation of other wood products.

Landfill operations

Landfill Operations(1 pg, 82 K, 06/10/11)

Landfill operations which receive household waste and are not classified as a land application unit, surface impoundment, injection well, or waste pile. In addition to household waste, the landfill operations may receive other types of waste such as commercial solid waste, nonhazardous sludge, and industrial solid waste.

Hot-mix asphalt plants

Hot-Mix Asphalt Plants(1 pg, 89 K, 06/10/11)

Hot-mix asphalt plants that mix and heat a combination of aggregate, recycled materials, and liquid cement to product asphalt suitable for paving applications.

Concrete batch plants

Concrete Batch Plants(1 pg, 71 K, 06/10/11)

Concrete batch plants, which are designed to dispense water, cement, sand, coarse aggregate, and other supplements in a proportion that can be mixed to create concrete. The mixing processes at these plants can be either truck mixes or central mixes.

Printing operations

Printing Operations(1 pg, 81 K, 06/10/11)

Printing operations which include the application of ink onto packaging, greeting cards, books, catalogues, directories, newspapers, etc., using web offset lithography, web letterpress, rotogravure, or flexography processes.

Rock crushing and stone processing operations

Rock Crushing and Stone Processing Operations(1 pg, 117 K, 06/10/11)

Rock crushing and stone processing operations, including sand and gravel production, which extract useful rocks and minerals and crush them to a desired size and consistency.

Surface coating operations

Surface Coating Operations(1 pg, 94 K, 06/10/11)

Surface coating operations that involve applying a thin layer of coating (e.g., paint, lacquer, enamel, varnish, etc.) to a substrate (e.g., paper, metal, plastic) for decorative or protective purposes.


Degreasers, Solvents and Cleaners(1 pg, 83 K, 06/10/11)

Degreasers, solvents or cleaners which are used to remove water-insoluble contaminants such as grease, oils, waxes, carbon deposits, fluxes, and tars from metal, plastic, glass, and other surfaces.  Degreasers, solvents and cleaners are typically used prior to painting, plating, inspection, repair, assembly, heat treating, and machining.

Industrial boilers

Industrial Boilers(1 pg, 136 K, 06/10/11)

Industrial boilers that are typically used to generate hot water or steam needed to power other processes, such as electricity generation. Some industries use boilers in a method known as cogeneration, where steam from the boilers will power one process, such as a turbine, after which excess steam and heat will be used for process or energy recycling. Boilers create steam from the combustion of fuel, usually coal, oil, or natural gas, though a wide variety of fuels can be used.

Stationary internal combustion engines  Stationary Internal Combustion Engines(1 pg, 126 K, 06/10/11) Statonary internal combusion engines which include two ignition methods (spark ignition and compression ignition). Spark ignition engines burn gasoline or natural gas, which have a relatively high ignition temperature and require an electrical discharge to initiate combustion. Compression ignition engines burn diesel fuel, which has a relatively low ignition temperature and can spontaneously ignite since the compressed air temperature is above the auto-ignition temperature of the fuel.

May I register using my own emissions information, rather than use the Registration Calculator?

The Registration Calculators are provided for the convenience of minor sources, which are unlikely to have tracked emissions data since minor sources in Indian country were unregulated prior to promulgation of the Federal Indian Country Minor NSR rule. However, if you have actual emissions data from your source you may choose not to use the calculator(s), but your registration information must comply with all of the requirements in 40 CFR 49.160 and be submitted using the form for registration of existing sources.

How does registration relate to obtaining a permit?

Please note that registering your air pollution source does not relieve you of the requirement to obtain any required permit if you find you are above the major source thresholds for NSR. Registering your source and obtaining a permit, if needed, are two different and separate requirements and require different facility emissions information.

If you have any questions about the Federal Indian Country Minor NSR rule, true minor source registration requirements, or how to complete the registration calculator(s), please contact the person listed for your EPA Regional office.

You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.