L'Anse Warden Power Plant
Residents of L’Anse, Mich., have reported odors and fugitive dust coming from the L’Anse Warden Electric Co. power plant. Under a state permit the utility is allowed to burn for fuel tires and railroad ties treated with creosote and a chemical called pentachlorophenol.
EPA is working closely with the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality to investigate residents’ concerns, address potential health risks and determine compliance with environmental regulations.
- July 6-7, 2016 Stack Testing (MDEQ)
- May 10, 2016 (EPA)
- Aug. 27, 2015 (MDEQ)
- Sept. 2, 24 and 28, 2015 (MDEQ)
- Oct. 2 and 5, 2015 (MDEQ)
- Nov. 16, 2015 (MDEQ)
- Dec. 15, 2015 (MDEQ)
- Dec. 17, 2015 (EPA)
- Jan. 21 and 29, 2016 (MDEQ)
- Feb. 1, 4, 7 and 11, 2016 (MDEQ)
- March 21, 2016 (MDEQ)
- April 5, 2016 (MDEQ)
- April 1, 2016: U.S. EPA issued a Section 114 Information Request to LWEC for information to determine whether the emission source is complying with the CAA and the Michigan State Implementation Plan and Renewable Operating Permit Number Ml-ROP-B4260-2011.
- Feb. 2, 2016: U.S. EPA issued a Section 114 Information Request to LWEC requesting a number of pieces of information including but not limited to the installation of particulate matter ambient air monitors at the fenceline of the facility.
- Nov. 13, 2015: U.S. EPA issued a Section 114 Information Request to LWEC requesting information including, but not limited to, copies of all documentation related to: stack testing, internal audits, emission test runs, emission characterizations, visible emission testing, or emission studies, compliance certifications.
- Sept. 28, 2016: Public Hearing (PDF)(1 pg, 62 K, About PDF) Exit A formal public hearing will be held on Wednesday, Sept 28, 2016. MDEQ previously held an information session on Wednesday, Sept 7, 2016.
- Aug. 24, 2016: MDEQ released a Draft Consent Order and Draft Permit to Install Application Exit. The official public comment period is Aug. 24 - Sept. 22, 2016, with a public meeting (if requested) on Sept. 28, 2016.
- Feb. 8, 2016: MDEQ issued a Violation Notice to LWEC based on inspector observations of fugitive dust made during inspections on Jan. 27, and Feb. 1 and 4, and 7, 2015.
Dec.1, 2015: MDEQ issued a Violation Notice to LWEC in response to a testing report required under the Renewable Operating Permit.
- L'Anse Warden Electric Company Boiler Number One Emission Test Report – July 2016
- L’Anse Warden Electric Company Boiler Number One Emissions Test Report - November 2015
- L'Anse Wipe Samples February 2016
L'Anse Warden Inspection April 2012 (Clean Water Act)