Basic Information about EPA ExpoBox
EPA’s EXPOsure toolBOX (EPA ExpoBox) was developed by the Office of Research and Development, as a compendium of exposure assessment tools that links to exposure assessment guidance, databases, models, key references, and related resources. The toolbox provides a variety of exposure assessment resources organized into 6 Tool Sets, each containing a series of modules (as shown in the table below). The toolbox allows you to navigate from different starting points, depending on your specific needs.
|Tiers and Types||Lifestages and Populations||Chemical Classes|
The toolbox search available from various parts of the web site allows you to search the collection by keyword or topics.
EPA ExpoBox includes an Exposure Factors Module that contains the following key features:
- A link to a full list of recommended values in a downloadable Excel spreadsheet
- A complete list of all available exposure factors, organized by route of exposure, including:
- Highlights and recommendations for each factor
- Full bookmarked chapters of the Exposure Factors Handbook: 2011 Edition
- More than 200 individual data tables in downloadable Excel spreadsheet format
- About 700 references that can be accessed via EPA’s Health and Environmental Research Online (HERO) database
- Links to relevant sources of related information
- Search capabilities that allow you to identify relevant sections of the Exposure Factors Handbook: 2011 Edition and select from among 800 data tables by selecting key search terms
You can access the Exposure Factors Module from a variety of locations in the toolbox.
For example, the Exposure Factors module can be accessed from Other Tools on the homepage, or by selecting the Approaches Tool Set, selecting Indirect Estimation (Scenario Evaluation) and then clicking on the Factors tab. You can also access exposure factors information from other Tool Sets.
Below is a list of glossaries related to exposure and risk assessment used to describe terminology used throughout the EPA ExpoBox toolbox:
- Integrated Risk Information System (IRIS) Glossary
- IPCS Risk Assessment Terminology (PDF) (122 pp, 950 K, About PDF) Exit
- Risk Assessment Glossary
- Terminology Services: Terms and Acronyms
- USGS water basics glossary Exit
- USGS water science glossary of terms Exit
- USGS national water quality assessment program glossary of terms Exit
- Exposure Factors Handbook