Publications and Forms for Importing Vehicles and Engines
Procedures for Importing Vehicles and Engines into the United States (below) explains EPA regulations and requirements for importing the following:
- motor vehicles
- motor vehicle engines
- heavy-duty on-highway engines
- recreational vehicles (dirt bikes, all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), offroad utility vehicles (ORUVs), and snowmobiles)
- nonroad engines (generators, watercraft, and lawn and garden equipment)
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA’s About PDF page to learn more.
Procedures for Importing Vehicles and Engines into the United States
- Read the Overview of EPA Import Requirements for Vehicles and Engines. This document provides a summary of EPA requirements for imported vehicles and engines.
- Read the detailed Procedures for Importing Vehicles and Engines into the United States. This document provides comprehensive information on importing vehicles and engines.
EPA Import Declaration Forms (Note: These forms can be filled out electronically, using Adobe Acrobat Reader.)
- Use EPA Standard Form 3520-1 to import passenger vehicles, highway motorcycles, and the corresponding engines into the United States.
- Use EPA Standard Form 3520-21 to import heavy-duty highway engines and nonroad engines (gas, diesel, marine, stationary) into the United States. This form also applies for engines already installed in vehicles or equipment.
- Summary of Industry and Imports Codes found on EPA Imports Declarations Forms 3520-1 and 3520-21.
Mini-truck Imports Reference Materials
Mini-trucks are small trucks or vans with small spark-ignited (SI) engines with displacement below 1000 cubic centimeters and maximum engine power less than 30 kilowatts (kW) with a governed maximum speed of 25 miles per hour or less. These vehicles are subject to unique certification requirements prior to importation as described in the documents below.
- Mini-trucks: Importing Used Motor Vehicles as Nonroad Vehicles explains EPA policy on importing mini-trucks.
- Mini-trucks: Questions and Answers for State Inspection and Maintenance Programs addresses questions state inspection and maintenance (I/M) lane operators may have pertaining to imported mini-trucks.
- Instructions for Certifying Imported Mini-trucks (PDF)(16 pp, EPA-420-B-09-028, June 2009).
- Bond Requirements for Nonroad Spark-ignition Engines (PDF) (7 pp, 524K, EPA-420-F-10-034a, August 2010).
- Bond Worksheet (XLS) (2 worksheets, 646K, June 2015)
- Bond Worksheet for Small Volume Manufacturers (XLS) (2 worksheets, 46K, July 2015)
- Independent Commercial Importers (ICIs) identifies businesses authorized by EPA to import, modify and test vehicles to demonstrate conformity with United States emission requirements. Certification Guidance for Importing Vehicles and Engines further explains the process for becoming an ICI.
- The Kit Car Policy explains EPA requirements for manufacturing and importing kit cars (replica vehicles).
- The Engine Switching Fact Sheet explains EPA's policy on engine switching, which may affect a vehicle's eligibility for import. Also see Clean Air Act Mobile Source Policies and Guidance and Tampering Enforcement Policy Memorandum 1A.