Partnership Green Power Use Requirements
EPA requires that Partners meet a minimum percentage of their annual electricity use with green power (see Table 1 below). Partners should calculate their annual electricity use in accordance with their organization’s scope of participation (i.e., facility level or up to organization-wide) in the Green Power Partnership.
|Table 1. Green Power Purchase Requirements|
|Annual baseload electricity usage (kWh)||Green Power Partnership minimum requirements|
|If your annual electricity use in kilowatt-hours is ...||You must, at a minimum, use this much green power:|
|≥ 100,000,001 kWh||3% of use|
|10,000,001–100,000,000 kWh||5% of use|
|1,000,001–10,000,000 kWh||10% of use|
|≤ 1,000,000 kWh||20% of use|
Additional Minimum Green Power Use Requirements
Partners can meet their green power commitment with any combination of green power products. Partners must use green power that is:
- Generated from eligible renewable resources, which include solar, wind, geothermal, biogas, eligible biomass, and eligible low impact hydroelectric sources.
- Procured voluntarily, at amounts incremental to the renewable electricity included in the standard electricity service or mandated by state policy.
- Sourced from "new" renewable facilities (i.e., installed within the last 15 years).
- Sourced from eligible U.S.-based generation facilities.
- Applied only to U.S.-based Partner operations.
For additional information, please refer to the Partnership Requirements.
Green Power Leadership Club (GPLC) Green Power Use Requirements
The GPLC recognizes Partners that substantially exceed EPA’s minimum usage requirements for an organization-wide scope (see Table 2). EPA automatically includes all Partner organizations in the GPLC that report they are using the qualifying amount of green power.
Partners are identified as GPLC members on the GPP Partner list and on individual Partner profile pages.
|Table 2. GPLC Usage Requirements|
|Annual baseload electricity usage (kWh)||GPLC minimum requirements|
|If your annual electricity use in kilowatt-hours is ...||GPLC green power use requirements:|
|≥ 100,000,001 kWh||30% of use|
|10,000,001–100,000,000 kWh||50% of use|
|1,000,001–10,000,000 kWh||100% of use|
|≤ 1,000,000 kWh||Not eligible for GPLC1|
1 Partners with an annual electricity use of less than 1 million kilowatt-hours (kWh) per year are not eligible for the GPLC.
Additional GPLC Requirements
- Partners joining only at the facility-level are not eligible for the GPLC.
- The minimum green power use requirement for GPLC members must be met with 100 percent "new" renewables.
- Green power must be sourced from eligible U.S.-based generation facilities.
- Green power use must be applied to U.S.-based operations only.