Underground Injection Control (UIC)

Underground Injection Control in EPA Region 1 (CT, ME, MA, NH, RI, and VT)

Serving ConnecticutMaineMassachusettsNew HampshireRhode IslandVermont, and 10 tribal nations

On this page:

Most underground injection control (UIC) wells in New England are Class V wells. Class V wells are used to inject non-hazardous fluids underground. Class V wells are typically used to dispose of wastes into or above underground sources of drinking water. This disposal can pose a threat to drinking water quality if not managed properly.

Learn more about UIC Class V wells

Public notices for proposed permits

 No federal public notices for proposed permits at this time.

UIC permitting and registration information

No federal UIC permitting or registration information at this time.

Regional guidance documents

None at this time.

Top of Page

Who regulates UIC wells in my state?  - primacy enforcement authority information

EPA Region 1 oversees UIC programs in New England states and directly implements UIC programs on tribal lands. 

New England states have approved federally approved UIC programs. That means that each state has primary enforcement authority, or primacy and each state implements its own UIC program. State UIC regulations include requirements for registering and permitting Class V wells.

There are no Class I, II, III, or VI wells in Region 1.  

If you have general questions regarding federal UIC regulations, please contact Denise Springborg (springborg.denise@epa.gov).  If you have specific questions about a Class V well in a specific state, state contact information is provided in the table below.

Who regulates UIC Wells in my State
State Agency Contact
Connecticut Connecticut Dept. of Energy and Environmental Protection, Water Permitting and Enforcement Division

Art Mauger (Art.Mauger@ct.gov)

Maine Maine Dept. of Environmental Protection, Division of Water Resource Regulation Bill.Hinkel  (Bill.Hinkel@maine.gov)
Massachusetts Massachusetts Dept. of Environmental Protection, UIC Program/Drinking Water Program Joe Cerutti (Joseph.Cerutti@state.ma.us)
New Hampshire

New Hampshire Department of Environmental Services, Drinking Water Source Protection Program

Mitch Locker (mlocker@des.state.nh.us)
Rhode Island Rhode Department of Environmental Management, Office of Water Resources Craig Roy  (Craig.Roy@dem.ri.gov)
Vermont Vermont Department of Environmental Conservation, Drinking Water and Groundwater Protection Division Darlene Autery (Darlene.Autery@state.vt.us)

Top of Page

Underground injection control on tribal lands in Region 1 

Tribal underground injection control programs in New England states are implemented by EPA Region 1.  Contact Denise Springborg (springborg.denise@epa.gov) for more information.

EPA Region 1 mailing address

5 Post Office Square, Suite 100

Mail Code: OEP06-02

Boston, MA 02109-3912


FAX 617-918-0681

Top of Page