Production-Related Waste Managed by Industry in the 2015 TRI National Analysis
See Other Graphics in this Section
This figure shows the industry sectors that managed the most waste from 2005-2015.
From 2005 to 2015:
- The contribution of each of the top sectors to production-related waste managed has remained relatively constant since 2005.
- Of the sectors shown in the graph, three increased their quantity of waste managed: chemicals, food, and metal mining.
- Generated waste in some industries fluctuates considerably from year to year, due to changes in production or other factors (e.g., quantities reported by metal mining facilities can change significantly based on changes in the composition of waste rock).
From 2014 to 2015:
- Industry sectors with the greatest reported changes in overall waste quantities are:
- Metal mining, decreased by 503 million pounds (-27%)
- Electric utilities, decreased by 245 million pounds (-14%)
- Petroleum, decreased by 180 million pounds (-12%)
This page was published in January 2017 and uses the 2015 TRI National Analysis dataset made public in TRI Explorer in October 2016.