SmartWay Truck Carrier Partner Resources
This page contains the tools, guidance, and best practice information you need to get the most out of the SmartWay Program as a registered SmartWay Truck Carrier.
If you are responsible for annual updates and fleet improvement strategies, bookmark this page for your convenience. All SmartWay Truck Carrier information will be updated on this page.
What would you like to do?
SmartWay Truck Carriers measure, benchmark, and improve their performance on an annual basis. You must submit a completed and accurate SmartWay Truck Tool to EPA by the due date listed on this page to make sure your data is in the EPA partner database when your shippers and logistics companies are looking for you.
Truck Tool and Example Tool
The tool contains screen demos and guidance on each page to help you complete and submit your tool. This tab also contains additional guidance and worksheets to help you collect your data for tool submission.
- READ THIS FIRST: How to Download the SmartWay Tool
- Download the Truck Carrier Tool (2016 Data Year)(1 pg, 11 MB, January, 2017) Save this file to your computer before opening.
- Example Tool (Filled In)-Download(1 pg, 12 MB, January, 2017) Save this file to your computer before opening.
Truck Tool User Guides
- Click here to access the follow truck carrier tool support documents:
- SmartWay 2.0.16 Truck Carrier Tool: What's New (PDF)
- SmartWay 2.0.16 Truck Carrier Tool: Quick Start Guide (PDF)
- SmartWay 2.0.16 Truck Carrier Tool: Technical Documentation (PDF)
Submitting Your Truck Tool to EPA
Once you have completed your Truck Tool for this year, there are two steps to submitting it for evaluation by EPA:
Step 1) Save it to your computer in a place you will remember. When you save, you will generate two files—both an .xls file and an .xml file.
Step 2) Email both files to your Partner Account Manager. If you do not know who your Partner Account Manager is, you can submit your two files via email to firstname.lastname@example.org for evaluation.
All SmartWay Carrier Partners are ranked by their performance levels. These Microsoft Excel files contain the latest SmartWay Partners fleet ranking categories and emission rates.
- Learn more about SmartWay Carrier Partner Ranking Data
- The performance ranking files are refreshed every Monday afternoon. (For reference purposes only).
You can also view detailed reports and other information about partner performance via the SmartWay Portal.
EPA provides webinars and other training opportunities to help carriers learn how to get more value from the SmartWay program.
EPA regularly schedules webinars on using the SmartWay tools, unlocking the value of the data, and learning how to improve your fleet’s performance.
SmartDriver Online Driver Training
SmartDriver for Highway Trucking (SDHT) is a free driver training program to help truckers and trucking companies reduce fuel use, cut costs, increase profits, and improve competitiveness. In fact, SDHT is proven to help improve fuel efficiency by up to 35 percent—a significant saving given today’s fuel prices.
The course focuses on energy-management factors within a driver’s control, such as idling, start/stop techniques, progressive shifting, trip planning, and maintenance. Participants gain greater knowledge of fuel-saving driving techniques that can be put into practice immediately.
Those who complete the training with a mark of at least 80 percent receive a certificate of achievement.
- Enroll in free online SmartDriver training to become a more efficient driver Exit
Optimizing fuel economy, driver performance, and operational efficiency is key to improving the performance of your fleets as a SmartWay Truck Carrier. Read these technical bulletins to discover the best opportunities for your company.
- Improved Aerodynamics
- Low Rolling Resistance Tires
- Idle Reduction
- Automatic Tire Inflation Systems
- Low Viscosity Lubricants
- Weight Reduction
- Reducing Highway Speed
- Driver Training
- Improved Freight Logistics
- Hybrid Power Train
- Longer Combination Vehicles
- Intermodal Shipping
- Maintaining Proper Tire Inflation Pressure
Small Carrier Information
- How SmartWay Benefits Small Fleets (PDF) (2 pp, 558K, EPA420-F-13-012, February 2013)
- SmartWay and Small Business: Fact Sheet (PDF) (1 pg, 134K, EPA420-F-13-013, February 2013)
Professional Association Links
Industry trade associations are a great resource for the most up-to-date information about these strategies.
- American Trucking Associations (ATA) Exit is a trade association for the trucking industry, providing education on highway safety, security, environmental sustainability and other issues.
- The Owner-Operator Independent Drivers Association (OOIDA) Exit is a trade association for individuals that own and operate their own trucking businesses.
EPA encourages SmartWay Partners to share their achievements and participation in the SmartWay program with their customers, clients, stakeholders, and stockholders. There are several ways Partners highlight achievements:
Best Practice Guidance: Read this page for guidance on how to communicate your participation in the Partnership.
Feature Partner Profiles: EPA frequently develops profiles of SmartWay Partners that provide examples of effective freight supply chain sustainability measures.
- If you have a strategy, policy, or solution to a significant freight sustainability challenge that you would like to share with your industry, email your interest (email@example.com) with the subject line "Interested in becoming a Featured Partner" to be considered.