SmartWay Air Carrier Tools and Resources
This page contains the tools, guidance, and best practice information you need to get the most out of the SmartWay Program as a registered SmartWay Air Carrier.
If you are responsible for annual updates and fleet improvement strategies, bookmark this page for your convenience. All SmartWay Air Carrier information will be updated on this page.
What would you like to do?
SmartWay Air Carriers measure, benchmark, and improve their performance on an annual basis. You must submit a completed and accurate SmartWay Air Tool to EPA by the due date listed on this page to make sure your data is in the EPA partner database when your shippers and logistics companies are looking for you.
Air Tool and Example Tool
The tool contains screen demos and guidance on each page to help you complete and submit your tool. This tab also contains additional guidance and worksheets to help you collect your data for tool submission.
- Air Tool (XLS)(1 pg, 5 MB) Save this file to your computer before opening.
- An example of the Air Tool (XLS)(1 pg, 5 MB) Save this file to your computer before opening.
Air Tool User Guides
Use these guides to understand the tool data entry and submission process. Note that the data worksheets are available in the appendices of the Quick Start Guide and are no longer listed as stand-alone documents.
- Air Carrier Partner 2.0.15 Tool: User Guide (PDF) (77 pp, 2.7MB, April 2016, EPA-420-B-16-047, Free Adobe Acrobat Reader)
- Air Carrier Partner 2.0.15 Tool: Technical Documentation, 2015 Data Year - United States Version (PDF) (13 pp, 362K, April 2016, EPA-420-B-16-048)
Submitting Your Air Tool to EPA
Once you have completed your Air Tool for this year, there are two steps to submitting it for evaluation by EPA:
Step 1) Save it to your computer in a place you will remember. When you save, you will generate two files—both an .xls file and an .xml file.
Step 2) Email both files to your Partner Account Manager. If you do not know who your Partner Account Manager is, you can submit your two files via email to email@example.com for evaluation.
All SmartWay Carrier Partners are ranked by their performance levels. These Microsoft Excel files contain the latest SmartWay Partners fleet ranking categories and emission rates.
- Learn more about SmartWay Carrier Partner Ranking Data
- The performance ranking files are refreshed every Monday afternoon. (For reference purposes only)
You can also view detailed reports and other information about partner performance via the SmartWay Portal.
EPA provides webinars and other training opportunities to help carriers learn how to get more value from the SmartWay Program.
EPA regularly schedules webinars on using the SmartWay tools, unlocking the value of the data, and learning how to improve your fleet’s performance.
Optimizing fuel economy, driver performance, and operational efficiency is key to improving your performance as a SmartWay Air Carrier. The best sources for the most up-to-date information about these strategies are your air professional associations.
Professional Association Links
- International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) Exit serves as the global forum of States for international civil aviation issues.
- International Air Transport Association (IATA) Exit is a trade association for airlines around the world.
EPA encourages SmartWay Partners to share their achievements and participation in the SmartWay program with their customers, clients, stakeholders, and stockholders. There are several ways Partners highlight achievements:
Best Practice Guidance: Read this page for guidance on how to communicate your participation in the Partnership.
Feature Partner Profiles: EPA frequently develops profiles of SmartWay Partners that provide examples of effective freight supply chain sustainability measures.
- If you have a strategy, policy, or solution to a significant freight sustainability challenge that you would like to share with your industry, email your interest (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject line "Interested in becoming a Featured Partner" to be considered.