2016 SmartWay Affiliate Challenge Honorees
SmartWay Affiliates represent nonprofit organizations such as trade and professional associations, nongovernmental organizations, academic institutions, and governmental agencies, and tractor/ trailer dealerships and leasing companies.
This year’s honorees were selected through a competitive process based on accomplishments in the areas of SmartWay outreach, enrollment, collaboration, and the promotion of efficient freight supply chain practices.
Learn about the 2016 SmartWay Affiliate Challenge Honorees
Click on the honoree names to view descriptions of their activities.
- American Trucking Associations (ATA)
- Educated ATA’s Technical Advisory Group and Technology and Maintenance Council Study Groups about SmartWay. Briefed 37 state trucking associations about SmartWay—a group that has been hard to engage. Also collaborated with and educated other trucking-related associations.
- Promoted SmartWay and sustainable supply chains to a wide audience via social media and articles in ATA’s Transport Topics.
- Hosted the 2015 SmartWay Excellence Award Ceremony for Carriers. Invited SmartWay to participate in the opening plenary session with 1,000 trucking industry representatives in attendance.
- Showcased new fuel efficiency products, as well as technologies and solutions for saving fuel and reducing emissions.
- Environmental Defense Fund (EDF)
- Discussed and encouraged the use of SmartWay strategies in publications, including the Green Freight Handbook and the Clean Air Guide for Ports and Terminals.
- Recruited two major organizations to join SmartWay. Also presented SmartWay to EDF business partners to promote understanding of how SmartWay helps reduce emissions and cut costs.
- Supported local and regional air quality initiatives, such as the Drayage Truck Bridge Loan Program, in collaboration with the Houston-Galveston Area Council.
- Incorporated SmartWay and sustainable freight logistics into EDF’s Climate Corps.
- North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG)
- Launched the Saving Money and Reducing Truck Emissions (SMARTE) program, which is committed to providing small trucking fleets and owner operators with the technical advice, support, and funds necessary to operate long-haul freight more efficiently.
- Connected with local community colleges, resulting in the use of the FleetSmart Driver Training program, an initiative by EPA SmartWay and Natural Resources Canada.
- Conducted outreach about SmartWay light-duty and heavy-duty vehicles through multiple channels. Created flyers promoting the benefits of SmartWay certified light-duty vehicles and presented to more than 200 car dealerships.
- Developed a network of regional vendors that carry SmartWay-verified technologies and provided a listing of these businesses to fleets.
- Penske Truck Leasing
- Increased visibility of SmartWay to Penske consumers by adding a link to the SmartWay website from its consumer rental website, offering nearly 350,000 page views annually. Also communicated to customers via the Transportation Insights newsletter, which reaches more than 1,000 fleets.
- Conducted sales team training sessions on the environmental and fuel saving benefits of SmartWay designated tractors, providing increased ability for effective dissemination of information to Penske customers.
- Worked with Natural Resources Canada to introduce Canadian customers to the Canadian SmartWay program.
- Encouraged multiple fleets to join SmartWay and helped three new Carrier Partners complete their data submissions.
- Retail Industry Leaders Association (RILA)
- Produced a video series with SmartWay about the benefits that the freight transportation sector gains from improving supply chain efficiency.
- Offered members a forum to share information about their SmartWay involvement and the benefits that arise from adopting emerging technologies and operational best practices that drive supply chain sustainability.
- Incorporated SmartWay participation into RILA’s Retail Sustainability Management Maturity Matrix, causing a number of member companies to utilize more sustainable shipping and transportation methods.
- Specialty Graphic Imaging Association (SGIA)
- Featured SmartWay at the annual SGIA Expo.
- Authored an article for Sign Media about the environmental benefits of SmartWay, which reached several hundred printing executives.
- Conducted three webinars for members, each encouraging members to incorporate sustainability into their shipping operations.
- Recommended that SmartWay participation be added as a “Best Practice” to the Sustainable Green Printing Partnership Program.
- Wisconsin Clean Cities
- Spread the SmartWay message in multiple ways. Developed co-branded promotional materials for distribution at air quality conferences and hosted a webinar to foster understanding regarding SmartWay and how it helps to reduce emissions and save fuel.
- Promoted SmartWay certified vehicles, resulting in brand awareness for the consumer sector.
- Identified opportunities for fleets across the state to implement alternative fuels and SmartWay strategies through the Wisconsin SmartFleet program.
- Created awareness of the SmartWay program with numerous state, local, and nonprofit organizations. Promoted clean diesel practices with the American Lung Association in Wisconsin and worked with Wisconsin Partners for Clean Air.