Getting EPA DBE Certified
What Certifications does EPA Accept?
- The Small Business Administration (SBA) (both SBA 8(a) program certifications and SBA Small Disadvantaged Business (SDB) program self-certifications);
- The Department of Transportation's (DOT) state implemented DBE Certification Program (with U.S. citizenship);
- Tribal, State and local governments, as long as their standards for certification meet or exceed our own; and
- Independent private organization certifications as long as their standards for certification meet or exceed our own.
|If a firm holds a certification from one or more of the entities listed above, it is considered acceptable for establishing MBE or WBE status under EPA's DBE Program and no other action needs to be taken.|
What are the Certification Requirements?
- An entity must first attempt to be certified by SBA or DOT, or a Tribal, State, or local government, or by an independent private organization, and be unsuccessful in that attempt (proof required).
- An entity must establish that it is at least 51% owned and/or controlled by socially and economically disadvantaged individuals who are of good character and are citizens of the United States.
- An individual claiming economic disadvantaged status must have an initial and continued personal net worth of less than $750,000.