Lead-Based Paint Activities Professionals

General Information
Certification and Training
Notification Requirements

General Information

What kind of work is covered by lead-based paint activity regulations?

Lead-based paint regulations apply to inspection, risk assessment, project design and abatement activities in pre-1978 target housing and child-occupied facilities (but not to renovation, repair and painting projects).

Who administers the lead-based paint activities program?

EPA administers the lead-based paint program only in areas where states, territories or tribes are not authorized by EPA to operate their own lead abatement programs. The states administered by EPA include: Alaska, Arizona, Florida, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, New York, South Carolina, South Dakota, and Wyoming or American Samoa, Guam, the Northern Marianas and Tribal Lands.

All other states have EPA-authorized lead-based paint programs. Additionally, the Cherokee Nation, Lower Sioux Nation, Upper Sioux Community, and Bois Forte Band have EPA-authorized lead-based paint programs.

States and Tribes with Lead-Paint Abatement Programs Authorized by EPA (EPA operates the lead abatement program in the States shown in gray)

Choose a state or territory from the map below

Map of the United StatesAlabamaAlaskaAmerican SamoaArizonaArkansasCaliforniaColoradoConnecticutDelawareWashington, DCFloridaGeorgiaGuamHawaiiIdahoIllinoisIndianaIowaKansasKentuckyLouisianaMaineMarylandMassachussetsMichiganMinnesotaMississippiMissouriMontanaNebraskaNevadaNew HampshireNew JerseyNew MexicoNew YorkNorth CarolinaNorth DakotaNorthern Mariana IslandsOhioOklahomaOregonPennsylvaniaPuerto RicoRhode IslandSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtahVermontVirgin IslandsVirginiaWashingtonWest VirginiaWisconsinWyoming

Certification and Training

How does one find an accredited training provider in areas administered by EPA?

Finding an accredited training provider is the first step in getting certified. Use this searchable database to help locate accredited training programs in areas where EPA administers the lead-based paint activities program or contact the National Lead Information Center at 1-800-424-LEAD (5323).

After completing training, how does an individual or firm become certified in lead-based paint inspection, assessment and/or abatement in areas administered by EPA?

Firms must submit their application on-line.

Apply for certification or recertification to be an abatement or evaluation firm

  • Apply online - You can also update your firm's information, and request a copy of your certificate as well.

Firm fee and refund information

Individuals must submit their application on-line.

Apply for certification or recertification to conduct lead-based paint activities (worker, supervisor, inspector, risk assessor, or project designer)

  • Apply online - You can also update your information, and request a copy of your certificate as well.

Frequently asked questions about individual certification
Frequently asked questions about individual recertification
Individual fee and refund information

Note:  Remember, there are two types of required certifications – certified individuals must work for certified firms when performing lead-based paint activities.

Fee and refund policy


Notification Requirements

When do I have to notify EPA about abatement activities?

A certified firm must notify EPA at least 5 business days prior to conducting lead-based paint abatement activities, with one exception. When abatement activities are required in response to either an Elevated Blood Lead Level determination or emergency abatement order, notice must be provided no later than the day abatement activities begins.

In addition, the firm must notify EPA of any of the following changes to the original notice:

  • If the abatement activity will begin before the original start date, or if the location changes, notice must be provided at least 5 business days before the start date.
  • If the abatement activity is delayed, notice of the new start date must be provided to EPA on or before the original start date.
  • For cancelation or other changes, notice must be provided on or before the start date, or, if work has already begun, within 24 hours of the change.

What is required in each abatement notification?

  • Notification type (original, updated, cancelation);
  • Date when abatement activities will start;
  • Date when abatement activities are expected to end;
  • Firm's name, EPA certification number, address, phone number;
  • Type of building;
  • Property name (if applicable);
  • Property address, including apartment or unit number;
  • Documentation showing evidence of an EBL determination or a copy of the Federal/State/Tribal/Local emergency abatement order (if applicable);
  • Name and EPA certification number of the project supervisor;
  • Approximate square footage/acreage to be abated;
  • Brief description of the abatement activities being performed; and
  • Name, title, and signature of the representative of the certified firm who prepared the notification.

How are these notifications submitted?

Notice can be submitted in any of the following ways:

  • Electronically using the Agency's Central Data Exchange (CDX).  If you’re not already using CDX you’ll need to register first.
  • By fax to 202-566-0471
  • By mail to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, LBP Notification, P.O. Box 14417, Washington, DC 20044-4417
  • By commercial or hand delivery to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, LBP Notification, 1201 Constitution Avenue, NW [EPA East 5115M], Washington, DC 20460

Are there sample forms that I can use?

Yes, a sample form is available to facilitate the notification process. This form is fillable and can be completed at your computer, or printed and completed by hand. Other forms are also acceptable if all of the required information is included.