Resource Conservation and Recovery Act Hazardous Waste Part A Permit Application

The Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) requires anyone who owns or operates a facility where hazardous waste is treated, stored, or disposed to have a permit. The permit application is divided into two parts, Part A and Part B. The Part A application is submitted on a designated form, EPA form 8700-23, and requires basic information about the facility, while the Part B application is submitted in narrative form and is often lengthy. This application is required for a federal permit to treat, store, or dispose of hazardous waste under RCRA. The instructions explain the process for obtaining a RCRA hazardous waste permit and how to complete the forms for the application. The forms provide required information about a facility and:

  • the processes to be used for treatment, storage, and disposal of hazardous wastes
  • the design capacity of such processes, and
  • the specific hazardous wastes to be handled at a facility.

Documents and Instructions