Buying Green for Federal Purchasers
The federal government is the single largest consumer in the United States, spending over $450 billion each year on a wide variety of products and services. The Environmentally Preferable Program (EPP) was designed to help federal agencies purchase greener products and use this spending power to support these efforts.
As federal purchasers, you have an opportunity to use that tremendous demand to drive increased availability for greener products and services globally by:
- Minimizing environmental impacts
- Supporting manufacturers that produce environmentally-preferable products and services
Getting started essentials
- Get more information requirements to procure environmentally preferable products and services and to identify green products.
- See the federal green purchasing requirements for a specific product or service at the General Services Administration's Green Procurement Compilation Tool.
- Get up to speed on federal green purchasing requirements, resources, and training courses:
- See your agencies green purchasing goals in their Strategic Sustainability Performance Plan.
- Share best practices on green purchasing via:
- Sustainable Acquisition Materials Management Work Group
- Federal Electronics Stewardship Working Group (registration required).