Federal Green Challenge - Energy
On this page:
- Federal Green Challenge Energy Goals
- Energy Efficiency
- Renewable Energy
- Case Studies (Success Stories)
- Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Trainings
Federal Green Challenge Energy Goals
Relative to your baseline:
- Reduce electricity, natural gas, and/or fuel oil used per year by 5% or more
- Increase renewable energy use by 5% or more
- Improve Building & Plant Performance with Energy Star Exit
- Retrofit fluorescent lighting with T5s or T8s instead of T12s
- Replace magnetic ballasts with electronic ballasts
- Remove lights from areas with adequate lighting
- Equipment Upgrades and Settings
Fact: Typical exit signs lit with 15-watt incandescent bulbs costs about $30 per year to operate and need replacement each year. LED exit signs cost about $5 a year to operate and can last up to 25 years without replacement.
- Save energy. Save money. Cut greenhouse gas emissions. And get world-class support with Energy Star for existing buildings
- Reducing Supplemental Loads (PDF) (18 pp, 621K)
— Chapter 7 of Energy Star Building Upgrade Manual (PDF) (265 pp, 4.4MB) Exit
- Enable power management features on computers, monitors, printers, and other electronic equipment.
- Purchase energy efficient equipment.
- Include Retro-Commissioning (PDF) (4 pp, 42 K, About PDF) in your federal energy saving performance contracts Exit
- Retro-Commissioning (PDF) (17 pp, 301K) Exit
— Chapter 5 of Energy Star Building Upgrade Manual (PDF) (265 pp, 4.4MB) Exit
- Calibrate building controls such as thermostats and occupancy sensors
- Adjust operating schedules to ensure equipment is operating only when necessary
- Fan Systems
- Ventilation Systems
- Building Envelope Upgrades
- Heating and Cooling
- Purchase renewable electricity or renewable energy certificates (RECs). Learn more in the Guide to Purchasing Green Power (PDF)(60 pp, 2.9MB)
- Think about installing a renewable energy system at your building, like solar arrays or a wind turbine. Check out how to install renewable energy systems.
- Identify state and federal rebates, and incentives for renewables and efficiency with the DSIRE database. Exit
- Design and install on-site renewable technologies
- See the latest FGC awardees and apply for Federal Green Challenge awards
- Energy Star Awards
- Green Power Leadership Awards
- Department of Energy Awards for Saving Energy and Water
Case Studies (Success Stories)
- the U.S. General Services Administration's Chicago Federal Center reduced its natural gas use by 25 percent,
- the Captain James A. Lovell Federal Health Care Center in North Chicago, Illinois, reduced its energy consumption by 15 percent in one year,
- Joint Base Lewis McChord in Tacoma, Washington saves .5 kWh of electricity of per square foot, 1.95 million BTU of fossil fuels per 1,000 square feet, and 0.162 gallons of water per square foot,
- installation of solar water heating systems at Chickasaw National Recreation Area supplies almost 37,000 kWh per year of energy.
Energy Efficiency & Renewable Energy Trainings
- The Department of Energy offers myriad trainings, webinars and courses to help you with your projects on energy efficiency and green energy.
- Free live and archived trainings on all aspects of Energy Star products and tools.
- Stay abreast of FGC’s Web Academy, both live and recorded.