Burn Bans on Indian Reservations in ID, OR, and WA

Burn Ban Alert

There is currently an EPA burn ban for the Yakama Reservation in Washington through Friday, January 20. See below for more information. Before burning, see also delegated and tribal burn bans.

The EPA has authority under the FARR to issue temporary bans on certain types of outdoor burning on reservations in Idaho, Oregon, and Washington.

On this page:

Current burn ban status

Outdoor burn ban extended for Yakama Nation

EPA has extended a ban on all outdoor open burning on the Yakama Reservation through Friday, January 20 at noon due to stagnant air conditions and elevated air pollution.

The burn ban applies to all outdoor and agricultural burning—including camping and recreational fires—in all areas within external reservation boundaries regardless of ownership or tribal membership.  Ceremonial and traditional fires are exempt from the burn ban.  

Before burning, see also delegated and tribal burn bans.

For more information, or to receive EPA burn ban announcements by email, contact the FARR Hotline at 1-800-424-4372 or r10_farrhotline@epa.gov.

Top of Page

How do temperature inversions affect air quality?

Diagram showing how temperature inversions during winter can impact outdoor air quality.

About EPA burn bans

When an EPA burn ban is in place, it applies to all outdoor and agricultural burning - including camping and recreational fires - in all areas within the external reservation boundaries regardless of ownership or tribal membership.

We also request that reservation residents reduce all sources of air pollution, including excess driving and idling of vehicles, and the use of woodstoves and fireplaces unless it is your only adequate source of heat.

Air pollution can have significant health impacts. Cooperation from the community will help people who are at risk during this period. Those most at risk are children, the elderly, pregnant women and those with difficulty breathing and with heart and lung problems. Those at risk should avoid outdoor exercise and minimize exposure to outdoor pollution as much as possible.

Also check with your local fire department or appropriate tribal agency for any local burning requirements. The Coeur d'Alene, Colville, Nez Perce, Quinault, Swinomish, and Umatilla Tribes have delegation or their own authority to call their own burn bans (see delegated and tribal burn bans).

Top of Page

What types of burning are allowed during a burn ban?

Ceremonial and traditional fires are exempt from outdoor burn bans called by EPA.

Top of Page

Delegated and tribal burn bans

If you live on one of the following reservations, you should also check with the tribe before burning:

Coeur d'Alene Indian Reservation

Colville Indian Reservation

  • Contact Kris Ray, Air Quality Program, at 509-634-2418.

Nez Perce Indian Reservation

Quinault Indian Reservation

  • Call 360-276-8215 to find out whether burning is allowed.

Swinomish Indian Reservation

  • Check the Swinomish burn ban status website Exit or call the Swinomish Burn Hotline at 360-466-2722. Fires greater than four feet in diameter require a burn permit from the Planning Office.

Umatilla Indian Reservation

Top of Page

State and local burn bans

If you live outside of an Indian reservation, contact your state or local air quality agency for more information about burn bans in your area.

The following links exit the site Exit

Idaho burn bans

Oregon burn bans

Washington burn bans

Top of Page