Outer Continental Shelf Air Permits

The Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Air Regulations, found at 40 CFR part 55, establish the applicable air pollution control requirements, including provisions related to permitting, monitoring, reporting, fees, compliance, and enforcement, for facilities subject to the Clean Air Act (CAA) section 328. These regulations apply to OCS Sources that are located beyond state seaward boundaries, with the exception of OCS sources located in the Gulf of Mexico west of 87.5° longitude (i.e. offshore TX, LA, MS, AL) and areas offshore the North Slope of Alaska, which are under the authority of the Department of Interior's Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (DOI-BOEM) and Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (DOI-BSEE).  

Applicants locating within 25 nautical miles of a state seaward boundary are required to comply with the air quality requirements of the nearest or corresponding onshore area, including applicable permitting requirements. Applicants locating beyond 25 nautical miles from the state seaward boundary are subject to federal air quality requirements and will likely need an OCS permit complying with the EPA’s Prevention of Significant Deterioration (PSD) preconstruction permit program, and/or Part 71 Title V operating permit program requirements, and are subject to New Source Performance Standards and some standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants promulgated under section 112 of the CAA.

The OCS regulations are generally implemented and enforced by the EPA Regional Offices, but may be delegated to an adjacent or corresponding state or local air permitting agency. For additional information on the OCS permitting requirements, please contact your respective EPA Region.

OCS sources are typically involved in oil and gas exploration, development, or production or offshore wind farm installation, and do not include Deepwater Ports involved in liquefied natural gas (LNG) import and export. Information on Deepwater Port permitting can be found in EPA’s LNG Regulatory Roadmap and by contacting your respective EPA Region.