Belt filter presses are used to remove water from liquid wastewater residuals and produce a non-liquid material referred to as “cake”. Dewatered residuals, or cake, vary in consistency from that of custard to moist soil. Dewatering serves the following purposes:
- Reducing the volume, thus reducing storage and transportation costs.
- Eliminating free liquids before landfill disposal.
- Reducing fuel requirements if residuals are to be incinerated or dried.
- Producing a material which will have sufficient void space and volatile solids for composting when blended with a bulking agent.
- Avoiding the potential of biosolids pooling and runoff associated with liquid land application.
- Optimizing subsequent processes such as thermal drying.
- Belt Filter Press (PDF)(7 pp, 92 K, September 2000, EPA 832-F-00-057)