Hiring a Pest Management Professional for Bed Bugs
Treating bed bugs is complex and many people hire professionals to lead the effort. Because professionals can be expensive, it's important to research your options to find the best fit for you. We cannot recommend specific pest management companies or individuals, but we can provide you with information to help you find the best services for your needs.
Anyone you hire should use IPM, which will include monitoring for any bugs that have been missed during treatment. Because this is your home, you want to help too. To maximize your chances for success when working with a professional consider:
- Getting a pest management professional (PMP) involved as soon as possible, rather than taking time to try to treat the problem yourself, can help prevent the infestation from spreading.
- Be prepared for multiple visits, as very few infestations are controlled with only one treatment.
- Hire a PMP experienced in treating bed bug infestations. Check the company’s credentials.
- Follow guidelines on how to prepare for control, which will include laundering and cleaning.
- Expect the PMP to inspect your residence, take apart furniture if necessary and use vacuums, heat and pesticides to treat the infestation.
- Read EPA’s Citizen’s Guide to Pest Control and Pesticide Safety, which offers more tips on how to choose a pest control company.